The 'High Season' in Costa Rica is also the 'Dry Season', and many people ask if there is a time of year they can visit that is slightly fresher, but are often worried about too much rain. The truth is that the only month where you can expect rain for the majority of the day is October, and since most businesses close down that month for repairs there are few options for places to stay.
BUT--Costa Rica has an amazing 'Shoulder Season' which runs from May until the end of September, During this time of year you can expect ligth rainshowers every other day for brief periods.
This is a great time to visit and here is why!:
1. Everything is soo lush and GREEN, flowers bloom and the dust moves from the air back to the ground where it belongs. Temperature cools a bit and the oppressive weight of the dry March heat has dissipated, meaning you can get through a day with just one shower as opposed to three!
2. You don’t have to book everything in advance and wait in long lines, because the number of tourists is much lower. Prices also drop significantly.
3. Waterfalls. There are no waterfalls in Nosara in the dry season, you might catch a trickle of water in February, but often nothing.
4. Look forward to more one on one attention and treatment as locals fall into a more ‘pura vida’ vibe after a hectic high season, and have time to converse and really talk. Make time to join locales to watch a futbal game while you are here!
5. You get the beaches all to yourself! Yes, waves too! If you don’t like big crowds on the beach and in the water, the green season is a fantastic time to enjoy real serenity when you go to the beach.